Voluntown history begins around 1696. Pris froor to that time this part of Eastern Connecticut was primarily inhabited by various tribes of Indians who waged wars among themselves and with colonists from Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Connecticut. Pequots, Narragansetts, Mohegans, Wampanoags, Nipmunks and Pokanoets all played part in the early history.
King Philip's War (1675-1676) ended with the death of King Philip (Indian name Metacom, second son of Massasoit, sachem of several tribes) on August 12, 1676. After the war, the Mohegans and Quinebaugs laid claim to the Voluntown area until 1705.
In 1643, the New England Confederation, a loose union to settly border disputes, was formed by Connecticut, New Haven, Plymouth and the Massachusetts Bay Colony.
In 1696, Lt. Thomas Leffingwell of Norwich and Sgt. John Frink of Stonington had petitioned agains the Assembly of New Haven for a Plantation for settlers who had found against the Indians. Subsequently, although it took 9 years, a six mile square 160 lot plantation was granted - called Volunteer Town. Disputes over boundaries occured for the next 16 years. Swamps, rocks and poor soil made the area not very attractive. Finally in 1721 Voluntown was incorporated.